Friday, April 7, 2017

From Potter's Field by Patricia Cornwell (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Christmas has never been a particularly good time for Dr Kay Scarpetta. Although a holiday for most, the festivities always seem to heighten the alienation felt by society's violent fringe; and that usually means more work for Scarpetta, Virginia's Chief Medical Examiner and consulting forensic pathologist for the FBI.

The body was naked, female, and found propped against a fountain in a bleak area of New York's Central Park. Her apparent manner of death points to a modus operandi that is chillingly familiar: the gunshot wound to the head, the sections of skin excised from the body, the displayed corpse - all suggest that Temple Brooks Gault, Scarpetta's nemesis, is back at work.

Calling on all her reserves of courage and skill, and the able assistance of colleagues Marino and Wesley, Scarpetta must track this most dangerous of killers in pursuit of survival as well as justice - heading inexorably to an electrifying climax amid the dark, menacing labyrinths of the New York subway."


My Thoughts:

I am so hooked on this series!  I literally am trying to take my time with this series and not just blow through all of the books but it is so hard when the books are this good.  The reading experience is different for me compared to other readers because I've read two of the more recent books previously.  Now that I'm actually reading the earlier books (and in order) I can see how some of these books are building up to those later books.  It is pretty awesome if I do say so myself!  The thing that I liked best about this book is that feeling where absolutely anything could happen next.  This feeling is actually present in most of the books that I have read by her but it was especially strong in this book.  There was this creepy scene in the morgue where I was on the edge of my seat while reading.  It was SO intense!!  I never know what the characters are going to do or how they are going to react despite being in each book from the very beginning.  I don't know how else to describe it.  Benton, Lucy, Marino.....heck, they are all mysteries from time to time which really adds just another layer of suspense to these novels.  The best part of this book though was that Temple Brooks Gault was back and seemingly on a killing spree.  We first read about him a few books back and he was even more terrifying in this book.  I may say this with every book but I felt like this was one of the most suspenseful books in the series so far.  It was crazy at times and I just couldn't get enough of it!  

At this point I'm a huge fan of this mystery series and am enjoying every minute of reading these books.  This book was everything that I enjoy in a thriller and mystery all combined into one.  It was hard to put down, and I found myself flying through the pages.  I really love the way this author writes in such a way as leaves me questioning everything that is going on.  I just can't get enough of these books!  I already have the next book waiting patiently on my shelves- I won't be waiting long to read it so that I'm able to see what kind of trouble Scarpetta finds herself in next.  Highly, highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  Yet another amazing addition to this series which is a favorite of mine!

Disclosure:  I picked up my copy of this book from my local used bookstore.  Worth every penny!    

1 comment:

  1. Sam,
    This sounds like a very intense thriller. Excellent, enthusiastic review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)