Friday, February 3, 2017

Grilled For Murder by Maddie Day (thoughts)

Summary from Goodreads:

"Robbie Jordan may have had reservations about the murder victim, but she still needs to turn up the heat on a killer if she wants to keep her new restaurant open for business…

In the charming small town of South Lick, Indiana, Robbie has transformed a rundown country store into the runaway hit Pans 'N Pancakes. But the most popular destination for miles around can also invite trouble. Erica Shermer may be the widow of handsome local lawyer Jim Shermer's brother, but she doesn't appear to be in mourning. At a homecoming party held in Robbie's store, Erica is alternately obnoxious and flirtatious--even batting her eyelashes at Jim. When Erica turns up dead in the store the next morning, apparently clobbered with cookware, the police suspect Robbie's friend Phil, who closed up after the party. To clear Phil and calm her customers, Robbie needs to step out from behind the counter and find the real killer in short order…"


My Thoughts:

This cozy mystery series is fast becoming a new favorite of mine and we are only two books in so far!  Actually I just found out that the third book in this series is supposed to release in February so that is super exciting.  But I'm getting off track here.  I actually read this book last year but just never ended up sharing my thoughts on it which is a shame as it was really good.  One of the things that I like my cozy series to have is a great cast of characters and these books definitely have that.  I love Robbie's character and there are some really great secondary characters as well.  The thing I love most about these books though is reading about Robbie's restaurant and the food that she makes.  What is it about me that loves these foodie cozies so much?  Especially when I'm not much of a cook myself!  I cannot seem to get enough of them though, and I just adore reading about the delicious foods that Robbie is always making.  It is no wonder that I'm always so hungry while reading though!

I really enjoyed the mystery portion of this book also.  Sometimes with cozies it is easy to lose interest in the actual mystery but I never seem to with these books.  I won't say anything specific as it would be considered to be a spoiler but I really like what the author did with Robbie and Jim's relationship.  I can't say anything more than that but let me just say that I was happy with the way things went.  I'm curious as to how everything will play out in that upcoming third book (cue gimme hands that are anxiously awaiting book three).  This book turned out to be quite the page turner - or since I read it on my trusty kindle what would I call that?  Anyways, it was really good and I found myself pulled away into Robbie's world of food whenever I was reading.  I enjoyed the way this book ended and it was just an overall really great read!

Ultimately just writing up my thoughts on this book has me pining to continue on with this series right now!  It has everything that I enjoy in a cozy mystery series which is why I keep coming back for more.  I'm excited to see what kind of troubles that Robbie can get herself into next.  I'm eager to get back to the small town of Salt Lick, Indiana and read about the delicious foods that Robbie is cooking up.  I just want more and that is always a sign of a really great book!  I can't say enough good things so obviously I recommend.  You don't have to read the series in order but I would say that you should if possible.  It definitely will enhance your overall reading experience (and besides there are only two books so far).  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A mouthwatering follow-up to the first book in this cozy series.  I need more!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher through NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fun cozy! Glad you have another installment to look forward to soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)