Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Long Way Home by Mariah Stewart (thoughts)

The Long Way Home was such a pleasure to read that I didn't want to see it end.  But the best thing about starting in the midst of a series is that now I can go back to the beginning and see where it all started.  If all of the books are as good as this one was then I am in for a real treat! 

The Long Way Home is about Ellie Chapman as she struggles to begin and adjust to a new life.  Coming to the town of St. Dennis after a year long scandal, Ellie hopes to find a quiet beginning where no one knows her dark past.  She moves into the house that her mother left her with very specific terms after her death.  She has to live in the house for at least six months and she can sell nothing (including the house) until that time has passed.  Ellie plans on using the time to fix up the house and figure out what she is going to do next with her life.  What she doesn't plan on is finding a home and friends that accept her for just who she is.....

This book was such a joy to read!  I don't read a lot of contemporary romance but I'm going to be changing my tune after reading this book.  It was exactly the change of pace that I was looking for in terms of reading genres.  I found myself swept away to this quiet town where everyone knows each other and there is a strong sense of community.  I found myself instantly hoping that Ellie would find her place there and realize that she needed to stay.  Because I wanted to live there!  The author did an amazing job of really bringing the community to life.  There were lots of secondary characters that I'm eager to read more about (which may be featured in the previous books...I'll have to read and find out).  But the best thing about the book for me was hands down the romance that developed between Ellie and Cameron.

How I love a sweet romance like this!  The attraction between the two main characters was instantaneous and so utterly romantic.  I felt like I was just drawn into their romance from the very beginning.  Everything between them developed very naturally but in a way that left me invested in them as a couple.  I NEEDED them to find their happy ever after.  I wanted it!  The author could have made it more difficult for them but I was glad that she didn't.  I mean it when I say that this was the best "quiet" romance that I've read in a very long time.  I couldn't have asked for more!  And there was one unexpected plot turn that I'll leave you to discover that I felt the author handled very nicely.  I didn't think that it would work out okay but it actually fit into the book perfectly and made it that much better!

Overall, I loved this book!  Ha!  No, really...I adored it from beginning to end.  I'm eager to visit more with the residents of St. Dennis and will be reading ALL future books in this series.  Once I catch up with the beginning books that is.  I cannot tell you the last time that I fell so head over heels for a book.  The romance between the two main characters swept me away.  I'm ready to dive head in to some more contemporary romance reads after this!  I would highly recommend this book but especially to romance lovers.  And if you are a fan of Nora Roberts then I think this series is a must read!

Bottom Line:  A book that I instantly fell in love with!

Disclosure:  I was sent a copy of this book thanks to the publisher as part of a TLC Book Tour.  Thoughts on the book are my own!

*The publisher has kindly offered a giveaway of one copy of this book for the lovely readers here.  Only US/Canada addresses are eligible though but to enter just leave a comment.  I'll announce the winner at some point this weekend but probably Sunday.  Definitely Monday at the latest :)

6 comments:

  1. Well now that's you and Staci that have loved this book. I'm going to check out the series and start at the beginning. These sound like real feel good books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you adored this book, Sam! It does sound like a terrific romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice review.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts on this one are so similar!! I can't wait to visit St. Dennis again and like you so very excited to start at the beginning. I loved their special, slow romance...totally made the book for me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)