Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Deadly Descendant by Jenna Black (thoughts)

Second books in a planned series are quite a tricky maneuver in my opinion as the world building has already been started in the first book and the series isn't ending.  Happily enough Deadly Descendant blew the first book out of the water in my opinion and left me wanting more!  In this installment, Nikki is up against a mysterious man who seems to be causing random fatal "wild dog attacks".  Interestingly enough, these aren't actual wild dogs but instead are deadly jackals which have the ability to harm even an immortal like Nikki herself.  Nikki will have to figure out who is controlling the jackals while also keeping herself out of harms way.  But who better than an immortal descendant like herself??

As soon as I cracked this book open, I knew that I was going to be well and truly hooked.  The story started off with a bang and just kept going throughout.  I love a book that keeps me turning pages without taking the time to check and see how far along I am or how many pages I might have left.  This was one of those books.  I just HAD to see what was going to happen next and I was finished before I knew it.  I loved that while Nikki is still learning about her new abilities and skills, her character grew stronger and more self confident in this book.  She was more kick-ass which is never a bad thing in my opinion :)  I also enjoyed the fact that the author took strands from the first story and really tied them into this storyline.  I'm curious to see what will happen in the next book especially in regards to Anderson and his wife.  Hmmm...the plot thickens.  And Jamaal.  Yum!  I seriously hope that we get to see more of his character in the 3rd book and learn more of his history.  I'm so intrigued!

Overall, this was an amazingly strong follow-up to Dark Descendant!  I. Need. More!  I love the way the author was able to continue on the storyline from book one without telling it all over again.  I'm anxious to see the way the ending of this book will play out in regards to the next book.  I want more of Nikki and Jamaal!  I just plain want more of this series!  The series is fresh and different from a lot of what is out there in urban fantasy which makes me like it all the more.  And I really enjoyed the fact that this book was darker and grittier than the first.  Because you should all know by now that I love a dark urban fantasy series.  My favorite!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A surprisingly good follow-up to Dark Descendant and actually WAY better than Dark Descendant if I'm being honest!

Disclosure:  Checked out from my local library.

4 comments:

  1. My first try to urban fantasy was Dark Descendant and it wasn't my cup of tea but now you have me reconsidering, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been ages since I've read dark urban fantasy. This series sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marce- I remember reading your review on Dark Descendant now that you say that. I'm a huge fan of urban fantasy so this book definitely worked for me but I'm not sure what your thoughts would be on it ;)

    Suko- I really did! I love when I find series like this to follow!

    Naida- It is great but if you read it you should definitely start off with the 1st book. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)