Sunday, June 24, 2012

Royal Street by Suzanne Johnson (thoughts)

Royal Street begins right before New Orleans is hit by Hurricane Katrina and the world that D.J. (Drusilla) knows is changed forever. Because after the storm hits, D.J. finds herself caught up in a search for her mentor, Gerry, who went missing during the storm. Determined to not only prove Gerry's innocence but also find him, D.J. finds herself caught up in a dangerous mystery filled with creatures from the dark.

Royal Street was an intriguing beginning to this new urban fantasy series and it has caught my attention! One of the things that I enjoyed most about this novel is how the author intertwines Hurricane Katrina with the storyline to make an original urban fantasy read. The author uses and references the hurricane constantly throughout the book, and I loved how you could feel her love of New Orleans while reading. It really enhanced my enjoyment of the story. D.J. is a wizard and at the beginning of the story it comes across as if she is an inexperienced wizard. I liked that as the book progressed we were able to see her grow and her skills develop into something more. The author hinted at even more than we saw though and I'm curious to see how she grows and develops in future books. My only real problem that I had with the book was D.J.'s lack of confidence in herself and her skills. It wasn't constant throughout the book so it didn't take away from my reading experience but it was there. I'm hoping that as she grows in future books that she becomes a force to be reckoned with. Because you can just see that the skills and talent are probably there just waiting to be let out. And I will definitely be there to read the next book whenever it comes out :)

All in all, I found this book to be a pretty solid beginning to this new series. And now I'm eager to read more about D.J. and see where she goes from here. I'm curious to see what happens next...which is all you can ask from a book sometimes, right?? Recommended especially for fans of urban fantasy!

Bottom Line: It didn't rock my socks off but it was pretty darn good if I do say so myself!

Disclosure: My many thanks for an e-copy of this book thanks to the publisher and Netgalley!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you read so many series books. Before I was a book blogger I used to do that--now my reading is all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things new orleans, will have to add it to the impossible list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the New Orleans setting. There's just something about that place . . . This does sound like a promising series, one I may have to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suko- I'm a HUGE fan of series books! I love that I can revisit favorite characters...I especially enjoy rereading a series that I love :)

    Lisa- I have an impossible list of books that I want to read as well. The author did a really good job of incorporating New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina into the story. I'm looking forward to seeing if the entire series continues to do the same!

    Literary Feline- I would love to visit New Orleans some time. There is just something intriguing about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)