Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson (thoughts)


Christine wakes every morning with no memory of the previous day, the week before, and without even a solid memory of her family and friends. She wakes up to realize that she doesn't recognize her husband or the woman that she has obviously become, and that waking up with no memory is a daily occurrence for her. And then she finds a journal that she has secretly been writing in which leads her to realize that her life isn't what it seems....

Wow! This was a thriller that didn't let me go until the very last page. From the very beginning of the book, I was drawn into it because the main character, Christine, realizes that the life she doesn't know or remember isn't exactly as it should be. And as she begins to read the journal she has written, the reader is left with questions about the reliability of what she has written. Of the reliability of the memory of a woman that forgets each night what happened the previous day as well as the previous years. It makes for quite the suspenseful read as I was constantly questioning everything that was happening. And the end...just blew me away because even though I might have suspected something in the beginning, I had believed it to be impossible by the middle of the book. Which meant that the ending came to be a complete surprise for me which made the book even better in my opinion. This was a thriller that kept me on my toes and I cannot wait to read more by this author! Highly recommended.

Bottom Line: One of the best thrillers that I have read in a long time. Simple as that :)

Disclosure: I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of this book from the publisher.

11 comments:

  1. I saw your five stars on Goodreads so I immediately added to my must read list....sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Youre review makes me want to read it.
    It slightly reminds me of the film 50 First Dates a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review is enticing me to read this thriller, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bottom line sums it up perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I continued to believe so the ending wasn't a shocker to me, I felt I knew that.

    I thought it was a good debut that most are loving, I gave it a 3.

    Also, I couldn't get pass the fact that she went sleep every night, why didn't she stay up or consider it.

    Great exciting review, I love to see different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's high praise! Before I Go to Sleep does sound good based on your description. I'll have to add it to my wish list. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just listening to this one on audio and yes it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Gotta love it when you get a great one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A coworker just suggested this as a casual readalong (listen for me) and I'm hoping to download it today. Can't wait!! Not my typical kind of book but a good thriller sounds kind of exciting right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard lots of good things about this book. I really should give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To realize that this is a debut novel is amazing. I hope that the author writes more books. I understand that this has already been picked up for a movie and I cannot wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)