Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spotlight Review: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (thoughts)


Spotlight Reviews are my way of playing catch up. I read and didn't review a ton of of books from last year that I always wanted to share my thoughts on. These reviews will be short and sweet with just my basic thoughts and are my way of "catching up".

From Goodreads:

"Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human.

Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire.

It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever rub the genie's lamp."


My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this beginning to a new urban fantasy series. Jane is such a great main character and she really made this book that much better in my opinion. She is a little unsure of herself and inexperienced but always up for a challenge. And what a challenge it is as she is drawn into the middle of a deadly mystery where her heritage (she is considered to be a halfing meaning half human and half supernatural) plays a huge role in those that are dying. This book was a fun read filled with humerous moments. My only problem with the book was the instant dislike to Jane's new boyfriend Ryu that I developed. I just don't care for him and had problems figuring out why Jane is so enamored with him. The mystery aspect of the story was really good and I was constantly turning the pages to see what would happen next. Overall, I thought that this book was a wonderful beginning to a new series and I was instantly ready to rejoin Jane's world in the next book. Recommended!

Disclosure: I read this book last year but I'm 98% positive that I checked that out from the library. It was a good choice!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll have time this summer to read a few UF books!! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound really good, Sam! Your new blog design is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on the TBR. Great artwork on the covers to this series. Too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a cute cover.
    Sounds like a fun series, even if the boyfriend was annoying. Nice spotlight review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci- I hope you do get the chance to read some urban fantasy. I just love it!

    Suko- Thanks! I needed a change around here and this fit what I was looking for :)

    Christine- I just love the covers for this series. There are so fun!

    Naida- I'm hoping that she gets over him VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)