Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Sunday Salon - Busy, Busy


So I am sure I'm not the only one that is in back to school mode lately. My oldest is going into second grade (I'm not sure how that has happened) and it means lots of school supply shopping, organization, and everything else that goes along with getting him ready to start school in a week. This summer has just flown by if I do say so myself. Unfortunately it means that I've had to cut back on my bloggy time as I try to get everything ready. And spend some quality time with all of the kiddos before the madness starts up again. I'm not ready...I'm really not. But I don't have a choice so into the craziness we will plunge again!

In reading news, I'm still moving along quite well even if I can't seem to keep up with the reviews. Since I last posted a Sunday Salon I've read a few books including Into The Darkness by Barbara Michaels which I was underwhelmed with. I was definitely disappointed as I really enjoyed the first book that I read by Michaels last year or the year before which was Be Buried In The Rain. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a review soon sharing all of my thoughts on it. I also finished Another One Bites the Dust by Jennifer Rardin and Red Hot Fury by Kasey Mackenzie which were both two good urban fantasy reads. I love me some urban fantasy :) I'm currently reading French Milk by Lucy Knisley which is my 1st graphic novel for the year. How sad! I really need to make an effort to read more from this genre as I'm really liking this book so far. In fact, it is the perfect genre to mix things up with my reading so I don't go in a rut. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time a slump comes around. And the pictures are awesome...I wish I could draw like that!

In other book related news, I've been lucky enough to receive a few good books in the mail lately. I'm thinking that it is time to do a In My Mailbox post for the first time just to share the goodies that I have received so keep an eye out for that maybe this week. And of course I've been visiting the library and am in need of a new library loot post as soon as possible. I just might be drowning in books... but I can't say that it is a bad thing :) Enough out of me...I'll be around to see what everyone else is reading sometime today. Hope you all have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. I have never read a graphic novel. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all completely understand about having to cut back on blogging time, Sam!

    I'm glad you're enjoying your first GN of the year :) I haven't read French Milk yet myself, but I've heard great things. The medium really has a lot to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read French Milk, as I've read a few good reviews. Thanks for reminding me with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Into the Darkness because of all the jewelry stuff, which I thought was interesting. She wrote one that deals with antique clothing dealers, and I found that fascinating also. Maybe try Shattered Silk, or Ammie Come Home if you want something sort of supernatural?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a Rardin since 2008 and I've been thinking of getting caught up lately. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sometimes hard to keep up with the blogging world especially when you're busy - no worries there. It happens to all of us. Good luck getting your boy ready for school.

    I just can't get into graphic novels. I wish I could though as so many seem to enjoy them.

    Hope your week is going well Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the drowning in books syndrome. I suffer from it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph- You should really give one a try...definitely worthwhile!

    Nymeth- It most definitely does. I wish I would give more graphic novels a try but I tend to push them off to later. And then after I read one I wonder why...

    Bibliophile by the Sea- I had read a bunch of good reviews which is why I picked it up. It was good but not my favorite :)

    Jenny- I've read another book by her (Be Buried in the Rain) and loved it...I think that my main problem wasn't the jewels which I found interesting but more with the characters whom I didn't connect with. Thanks for the suggestions as I still want to read more by this author!

    Ladytink- I really like Rardin and the Jaz Parks series...I'm hooked!

    Darlene- Getting him ready for back to school was definitely busy...but we survived! Thanks for the well wishes :)

    Melissa- It isn't such a bad thing ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)