Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Embers by Laura Bickle (thoughts)


Uggh! Why do I wait so long to review books sometimes?? Here is a book that I should have reviewed a month ago and one that I enjoyed so hopefully I can still do it a bit of justice.

Anya is an arson investigator/paranormal investigator that is caught up in the middle of an investigation into a series of fires that aren't normal in the least. Because the fires seemed to have started by themselves with no apparent reasons as to why they have begun or who started them. Anya also works with a team of investigators that deal with the paranormal going-ons in the Detroit area and it is to them that she turns when she realized that her investigation isn't a typical case.

What I liked about this book is that it is such a fresh idea for an urban fantasy. Anya is a "lantern" which basically means that she is able to kinda suck spirits into her and they are gone forever. It is almost like she eats them but not really (does that even make sense??). She works with a mixed group of supernatural investigators who all have their own talents. They work together to get rid of nasty spirits that are causing trouble. Anya also investigates fires as her main job in the real world and her most current job is combining everything she does for a living. She is a great main character because she is so down to earth and relatable. And by relatable I mean that she isn't perfect, doesn't always make the right choices, but is always trying to do her best and to get things right. In my opinion she makes a great main character for this new series. The storyline was interesting and kept my interest throughout the novel. I was left wanting more from the other characters though and felt that they could have been fleshed out a bit more which was my only real complaint with this book. But all in all, I really liked this book and am excited to read more from this author. I want to read more about how being a lantern affects Anya and I want to read more about the other investigators that Anya works with...her "Scooby Doo" team that another reviewer dubbed it :) And I want more of Sparky (Anya's familiar). All in all, I just want more which is always a good thing!

Disclosure- I was lucky enough to be sent this book for review by the publisher...still means that I gave my honest opinion.
*I read this book for the following challenges:
Once Upon a Time IV Challenge
Debut Urban Fantasy Challenge
New Author Challenge
100+ Reading Challenge
Speculative Fiction Challenge
"B" Author for A-Z Challenge (personal)

5 comments:

  1. Glad you reviewed this one, it sounds good! Its always nice when theres an interesting central character in a story.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanting more means the author did something right!! Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naida- It was a good read. In fact, I was suprised that more of the reviews I read weren't as positive about it as I thought they would be. I liked it.

    Staci- Agreed! Especially when it is a series..and this was a fun read (especially the Sparky bits)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you took the time to read EMBERS. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura- Wow! Thank you for stopping by! I will be looking forward to your next book for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)