Friday, April 2, 2010

Harry Potter Reread Thoughts


I have a serious love for Harry Potter. When all of the hype for these books started, I avoided them. Like the plague. Not for any good reason other than I figured that I wouldn't like them. And sadly, I'm not even sure now why I thought that I wouldn't like them but I WAS convinced that I wouldn't. So because I am SUPER excited about the next Harry Potter movie coming out in November (I think) and because I joined the Flashback Challenge which is all about rereading, I decided that I would reread the Harry Potter books. Unfortunately, last year I fell way behind in reviews and didn't share my thoughts on rereading the 1st book so this will be a mix of both even though I just reread Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets recently and not the Sorcerer's Stone.

I'm happy to say that I felt that both of these books were just as good the second time around as they were the first. I was a bit worried that they might have lost some of their magic for me but that just isn't the case. And it has been awhile since I read these so it was fun to notice the differences all over again between the books and the movies. I'll admit that I absolutely love the movies as well but for different reasons. The main one is that the characters in the movies are exactly as I would pictures the characters in my head while reading the books. Especially Professor MacGonagal (sp?). The movies have become comfort watches for me that I pick up whenever I need a pick me up.

J.K. Rowling is an amazing author and it was interesting to see how things from these two books tie into later books. Stuff that I missed the first time reading these. It just blows me away to think that she created these books especially when they are SO fabulous. Enough of me gushing though, suffice it to say that I'm a huge fan and cannot wait to pick up the 3rd book :)

P.S.- Did anyone see that they have broken the last book up in two movies?!?! I may be a bit behind the times but I can't say that I'm happy about this. It just means more waiting too.


And I think I'll leave you with the links to my actual reviews of the first two books here and here.

10 comments:

  1. Terrific post!

    Sam, although I have only read the first Harry Potter book, I've seen and enjoyed several of the movies, and I admire this imaginative author greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally do not reread books but the Potter series is one that I plan on reading again this summer. I loved it the first time around and am so sure that I will love it even more the second time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Harry Potter as well. I've reread the series a few times and I'm about due for another one. These books just don't get old to me and especially with the later ones being more in depth I always find something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you 100 percent here. I love the potter books. I think J K Rowling is an incredible author and if anyone eve asked me about a book that truly was hard to finish because it was the end of the story - I would say it was that last book.(LOng sentence I know)

    I never wanted to lose the great stories I found and the great friends of Harry, Ron, and Hermoinne. Wondeful review and yes, I think they get better every time I read them.

    I now have the second book on audio because I heard the audio is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to get through the last book for so long. I sped through the first six books, I don't know why I'm dragging my feet. Maybe I don't want it to be over? Anyway, my kids are really annoyed with me because they are forbidden from discussing spoilers. LOL. At least now I have a deadline to at least read HALF of the book by July, right? Or is it November?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you enjoy Harry Potter. i avoided them at forst as well but they are so worthwhile - I think that it is amazing how Rowling builds up this entire world - she is an excellent writer and i am one of her biggest fans.

    Great to discover your blog

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this is random but I saw that you were reading Escape - what a wonderful book!! I really enjoyed it. I've read several other books about that organization since and find it to be fascinating. I look forward to seeing what you think about the book when you're finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am re-reading this series right now too, and will be finishing the third book tonight! Isn't this an awesome series! The magic never dies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suko- What are you waiting for??? You really need to continue on with the series...they just get better and better.

    Staci- I'm loving it the 2nd time around myself :)

    Darlene- I'm guessing that I will continually reread this series as well. I just can't get enough Harry Potter!

    Sheila- I've heard that the audio books were good as well. And I was really sad when I finished the last book. I just wasn't read for them to be done.

    Christine- Yeah you better finish it before someone ruins it for you. LOL! I hate the fact that they are splitting the last book up into 2 movies...I can't wait that long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hannah- Isn't it amazing the world that she created? And how pieces from the first book come to play in the last book. It blows my mind that she was able to write such amazing books and I'm a huge fan as well!

    Steph- It was definitely interesting! I'll be posting a review of Escape at some point soon but suffice it to say that I'll definitely be looking to read more books on this subject. Any suggestions?

    Aths- How true! The magic will never die with Harry Potter. I can't wait to read these books with my kids when they are old enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them :)